HomeA sporadic Account of my First Impressions as I start learning Vistitle

Home FORUMS VISTITLE First Impressions A sporadic Account of my First Impressions as I start learning Vistitle

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Douglas 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Douglas
    Keymaster

I am not a fan of cheesy titles.
    That was my first impression of Vistitle, when I took a look at it a few years ago.
    However, after playing around with the free trial, I began to discover the hidden depth and possibilities of the application.
    As far as I understand, Vistitle is aimed at the broadcast side of the EDIUS world.
    For that reason early forays into the application reveal a huge number of lower third templates and “cheesy” title effects that are designed for news and sports broadcasts.
    Now that I have been exploring the possibilities of being creative and making titles for non-broadcast projects for about a fortnight, I can say that this application has endless possibilities for the creative editor.
    It takes time to start getting used to the non-standard expressions and workflows. But, let’s face it, it took time to get used to Boris RED too.
    The application is from China, which may explain the sporadic non-standard English nomenclature.
    This far, I am extremely happy to have given Vistitle a log spin.
    I have purchased the full version and am now forging ahead with my learning curve!
    Regards
    Douglas
    PS. I hope to be starting a few new threads and topics in the section in the very near future.

Ken
    Participant

Hi Douglas
    I’ve not looked in your site for a few days and what pops up your change of heart regarding Vistitle. If you recall I asked you months ago about it and it wasn’t for you. I use the Edius Quick Titler most of the time which is very flexible and I think we were stitched up BIG time by BORIS over upgrading to Red when using MC.
    I have seen David demo Vistitle and it is impressive.
    What stopped me buying it then was I got a Sony FDR 3000X plus accessories and now have just got a 55inh 4K OLED TV so Vistitle will be pushed back again?
    Ken

Douglas
    Keymaster

Hello Kan,
    I have not been around here for a while myself. I hope to better myself in the future.
    I did look at Vistitle quite a while back, but was still happily using RED at the time. When I looked I could not see anything that I couldn’t do in RED, so I thought! I could not justify the cost of Vistitle.
    RED is still working as well as ever, but I get the impression that any further development of it has probably been overshadowed by the emphasis that Boris FX is giving to BCC and Title Studio. Neither of those work well/at-all in EDIUS. Maybe in the future?
    The other possibility is New Blue FX. For my part I have never liked New Blue FX (but that is another story).
    So it was time to look again at Vistitle.
    Once I got past the initial play around with the trial version and looked deeper, I began to find that it had the tools to create a lot of the title effects that I might have been using RED for. More importantly, it has many easier ways of creating and changing text than RED has. Even more important is that it will playback my modest titles in EDIUS in real time, unlike RED which always requires active rendering. (However with more complex effects added, Vistitle may require rendering. I believe it will depend on your computer.
    Recently I also took the step into the 4K world. Unlike you, Ken, I bought Vistitle and will have to push back my purchase of a 4K TV!
    Just to say that I am a long way from abandoning Boris RED for effects but am now 100% into using Vistitle for all my titling.
    Regards
    Douglas

Ken
    Participant

I never liked New Blue when using it in MC.
    If you have Edius workgroup and set Preview Quality to 50% RED should play back a complex effects without rendering, or it will on my setup.
    Regards
    Ken

Douglas
    Keymaster

I have been using the Preview Quality settings to playback 4K, Ken. I never thought that doing the same might allow RED to playback in real time. Thanks for the tip!
    Returning to your original question: As Vistitle has been around for EDIUS users since the beginning of time, it integrates with EDIUS in a way that beats what RED offers. Re-use of Titles, changing text in saved templates etc. are all so simple and easy to do.
    But I am not here to sell Vistitle. I just want to let people know of my change of heart……
    Regards
    Douglas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.