Home FORUMS GRASS VALLEY EDIUS Intel Quick Sync stopped working

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Clarke 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Robert
    Participant

After a long break, I am back editing and now notice that Intel Quick Sync doesn’t seem to work. Perhaps it did previously. Perhaps not. I’ve switched to Edius (Workgroup 8.5.1) from AVID MC. Edius definitely offers an option to greatly accelerate .mp4 output using Quick Sync but I don’t see the option in my menus. So I assume that something is wrong with my software/hardware configuration or driver versions. DVC advises that problems can occur due both to driver updates and having a GPU board installed in addition to Intel’s chip (which I have). Can anyone offer suggestions for proper driver versions, diagnostic procedures, etc.

My custom workstation configuration: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 motherboard, Intel i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6 Ghz quad core processor, EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost graphics card. I run Win 7 Pro 64 bit OS with all the latest patches. My NVIDIA driver is v347.52 (not the latest which seems to be 385.53).

I checked Grass Valley’s website but didn’t find obvious help. Sandy Bridge chips supposedly support Quick Sync and I hate to miss out on its huge speed benefit. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Douglas
    Keymaster

Hello Robert,
    I have not actually tried to use QuickSync at all – yet so there is not much I can offer in way of advice.
    However, I will see if I can get hold of David to take a look at this thread.
    He is the one that is most knowledgeable on the topic.
    Regards
    Douglas

David Clarke
    Participant

That processor does not have quick sync. The Enthusiast series do not have a built-in graphics card and the graphics card is the part of the processor which does Quick Sync.

Intel don’t help by calling the “normal” I7s things like Sandybridge, Kaby Lake etc as well as the Enthusiast processors.

Robert
    Participant

Thanks David,
    If I understand your reply, I was incorrect in believing that Quick Sync worked in the past(could be true!). I previously checked Intel’s website and saw that Quick Sync was supported. Your response seems to say that Intel’s nomenclature on this is unclear and my particular combination of Motherboard and i7 Sandy Bridge versions are NOT supported (because Intel’s own graphics card is not included?). I’ve never heard of the Enthusiast series but apparently I have it! And apparently the Enthusiast series screws up the enthusiast who wants Quick Sync.

Thanks for helping. Unless I’ve missed something here, I’ll have to limp along.

David Clarke
    Participant

The enthusiast processors ae generally faster and have more cores than the standard processors. Yours is a quad core but they have 6, 8 and 10 core processors. They also have more resources on the motherboard to let you add in more extra cards. So they are generally better but they don’t have Quick Sync.

The processors which are just arriving now – Kaby Lake X and Skylake X – are the latest variations of enthusiast processors and better for everything apart from Quick Sync. With EDIUS 8.5 GV improved the standard H.264 encoder so that it will be a lot faster on these processors than it used to be, although not as fast as Quick Sync.

I have had a 3820 myself for the last few years and it never had Quick Sync.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.