HomeTAW6

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Douglas 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Douglas
    Keymaster

TAW5 has been around for a few years now.
    In January TAW6 was released. However it was the Japanese only version.
    I would expect the English version to pop up soon.
    When it does I will give it a spin and let you know what I think.
    Regards
    Douglas

Douglas
    Keymaster

TAW 6 is due to be released on May 18th.
    I will probably get it soon after.
    Regards
    Douglas

Ken
    Participant

Hi Douglas

I’ve downloaded the trial version and the user interface is an improvement. It doesn’t look like micky mouse impressions.

I have created a new project and opened a previous one from Version 5 and all appears to work fine. Already knowing how it functions is a great help.
    There are a couple of functions that I will probably use but it looks like most of the improvements are under the bonnet that I wouldn’t understand anyway.

There are two options to upgrade, one for $59.95 and another for $79.95. For $79.95 it would one can keep and still use the older version. I’m not sure why I would want to use the old version so I’ll probably go for the less expensive option. I’ll play some more and order it next week.

If you look in the FAQ it states that you cannot use the old version and give up the licence when upgrading, so it is a little ambiguous?

Regards
    Ken

Douglas
    Keymaster

Thanks for the information Ken
    The license thingy is the same as when TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 was released. At that time I gave up my older license and got the new one much cheaper.
    Why keep the older license? As an example of a similar situation, when I upgrade my Camtasia Studio I have the choice of keeping the older one along with the new one. I always keep the older one active. Just last month I was glad that I had done this. As you may realise I have hundreds of old tutorials that were made on Camtasia 6, 7 and 8 (present release id 9) If I want to re-edit a 7 or 8 created project, 9 converts it to the newer version. BUT if I dig out one created in 6, I have to convert it in two stages. First to 7 and then to 9.
    In TAW6 and VMW6 case, I never usually keep projects for years. They are normally 1 off. So I would have no reason to keep my older licensed version.
    Hope you understand that….
    Regards
    Douglas

Douglas
    Keymaster

Now I have TAW6 downloaded and installed.
    As I expected, apart from the obligatory “modern flat look” not much seems to have changed.
    In fact there are quite a number of changes waiting to be discovered as I gradually start to explore.
    I do not expect to have much time for exploration in the near future.
    If any of you do upgrade and find some of the new stuff, I hope you will let us all know through the Forum here.
    Regards
    Douglas

Side by side comparison of a typical TAW5 and 6 page.
    TAW5 and TAW6

Douglas
    Keymaster

Recently I have been using TAW6 quite a lot and have been finding quite a few “small” changes in how it operates.
    The total workflow is still basically the same, but there have been improvements in the ability to streamline and automate the flow.
    Once I have collected enough of the improvements I will most likely make a new chapter for the TAW collection of Tutorials.
    Regards
    Douglas

Ken
    Participant

Hi Douglas
    I did buy version 6 at the end of July and have made 4 projects with it and for me it dose flow much better than v5. The most important find for me was the ability to copy and use selected pages.
    I’m not sure what is new or, it may have been in V5 and I didn’t use or find it.
    Regards
    Ken

Douglas
    Keymaster

” it may have been in V5 and I didn’t use or find it.”
    Same here Ken!
    Some things I am not sure about. Whether they are new or I just never saw them previously.

One thing that is a strong point with TAW is how well it handles mixed format source files.
    I notice that on the EDIUS forums people are always saying that you must have your projects and output files in a certain format for them to match the BD standards. I never worry about what format I add to my TAW tracks.
    I have made BD and DVD discs where I have thrown in different resolutions, frame-rates, interlaced, progressive etc. and TAW has automatically taken care of making sure that everything is converted to the correct standard on output.
    Regards
    Douglas

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.