HomeWhat about AVID Forums and older versions of MC?

Home FORUMS AVID Media Composer What about AVID Forums and older versions of MC?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Douglas 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sef
    Participant

I’m still at MC 6.0.5.1 and no need to upgrade anyway. I now and then visit the Forums of AVID to see if there is something I’m interested in. What I notice is that older version users are hardly posting and what is more strange, is that for the new versions of MC it seems to be no longer necessary to ask assistance in using MC. I have decided that it is no longer useful for me to visit the forums. I can’t help for problems in the newer versions, so I can save my time for other nice things.

Douglas
    Keymaster

Sef,
    I am on 6.5
    I did have 7 and 8 before, but I rolled back to 6.5 when I left Avid as an MC user. From 6.5 and on, things just got worse with all the cloud and Application Manager stuff and the troubles brought by them, Even today they are causing problems for MC users.
    Also all the stuff around AMA. Putting the responsibility of developing plug-ins for different/new file formats on the camera manufacturers may seem like a clever move. But that leaves Avid users at the mercy of the camera developers. If they don’t make an Avid AMA plugin…. then users are complaining …. and Avid can shift the blame from Avid to the camera firms.
    Take Sony for example and one of its codecs. It works great in other NLE’s but not in MC.
    EDIUS, for example, usually any new codecs already integrated into a new version upgrade before the camera with the new codec is released!
    Stay on MC 6. Unless, of course, you are planning on editing some Hollywood movie in the future.
    Regards
    Douglas

sef
    Participant

Stay on MC 6. Unless, of course, you are planning on editing some Hollywood movie in the future.

What do you mean?

Douglas
    Keymaster

Sorry for taking so long to reply Sef.
    The big selling point in Avid’s advertising is to point out that the majority of Hollywood movies are cut on MC.
    I don’t cut Hollywood movies, so there is absolutely no need for me to have such an NLE.
    (In fact, Avid’s claim is probably no longer true. Maybe 15 years ago it was true. Today I think you will find that many Hollywood movies are cut on a combination of NLEs.)
    The point being, that other than having the ability to boast to people that, “I am editing with the NLE that Hollywood movies are cut on!”, I am probably slowing down my own editing flow by using an NLE that is designed for collaboration between multiple editors simultaneously.
    The whole topic here is something that I have been planning to explain here on the Forums as soon as I can.
    The whole “planning/shooting/editing.delivering” concept that I have been following for many years has some serious flaws that I have finally reacted to.
    Regards
    Douglas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.